InMyLanguage.Org will be taken offline on March 24, 2017. Until that time, you can download and save the documents that you would like to keep. After that date, please see Settlement.Org’s for translated information.

InMyLanguage.Org / Dans Ma Langue sera mis hors ligne le 24 mars 2017. Jusqu'à cette date, vous pourrez télécharger et sauvegarder les documents que vous souhaitez conserver. Suite à cette date, des documents du site figureront sur Etablissement.Org.


Education is very important to most Canadians. There are many opportunities in Ontario for you and your family members. Find information about the different school systems in Ontario, education opportunities for adults and learning English as a second language.

Enrol your Child in School

  • v
  • Print
  • PDF
  • Add to My Favourites

What immunizations does my child need to go to school?

Your children will not be allowed to go to school if they have not received certain vaccinations.

As a parent, you can decide if your child should get vaccinated. You can talk to your doctor or a community health professional about the benefits and risks of vaccinating your children.

For children attending school in Ontario, a written immunization record or proof of immunization is required by law for:

  • Diphtheria
  • Tetanus
  • Polio
  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Rubella
  • Meningococcal Disease
  • Pertussis (whooping cough)
  • Varicella (chickenpox)

Children attending licensed childcare centres should be immunized according to their age and as recommended in the Publicly Funded Immunization Schedules for Ontario. (1) There are some exceptions to immunization requirements for religious or philosophical reasons.  You may contact your local public health unit for more information. (2)

Many of these vaccines are free of charge to residents of Ontario with Health Card (OHIP) coverage. Some public health departments give vaccines for free, even if you do not have a Health Card (OHIP). Call your doctor for information about which vaccinations are offered under OHIP coverage.

You can also contact a Community Health Centre (3) near you. To find out about these centers you can contact Ontario Ministry of Health and long term Care at the ministry INFOline:

Toll-free in Ontario only: 1-866-532-3161
TTY: 1-800-387-5559

Immunization Records

In Ontario, the immunization record is a folded yellow piece of paper, the size of a credit card. Your immunization record or "yellow card" lists all vaccinations you have received in Canada.

A complete and up-to-date immunization record is an important document. In addition to registering your child for school, you might also need it when your child needs emergency treatment or when you register your child for summer camp or other children's programs.

If your children were not immunized when they were infants, you should contact the Canadian Coalition for Immunization Awareness and Promotion (CCIAP) (4).

Many community agencies can help you with immunizing your child for school. To find help in your area near you, in most parts of Ontario you can contact 211 Ontario:

Dial 2-1-1 from your telephone

For more information:

(1) Immunization Information and Schedule - Toronto Public Health:

(2) Local Public Health Unit:

(3) Community Health Centre:

(4) Canadian Coalition for Immunization Awareness and Promotion: