InMyLanguage.Org will be taken offline on March 24, 2017. Until that time, you can download and save the documents that you would like to keep. After that date, please see Settlement.Org’s for translated information.

InMyLanguage.Org / Dans Ma Langue sera mis hors ligne le 24 mars 2017. Jusqu'à cette date, vous pourrez télécharger et sauvegarder les documents que vous souhaitez conserver. Suite à cette date, des documents du site figureront sur Etablissement.Org.


Education is very important to most Canadians. There are many opportunities in Ontario for you and your family members. Find information about the different school systems in Ontario, education opportunities for adults and learning English as a second language.

Evaluate My Credentials

  • v
  • Print
  • PDF
  • Add to My Favourites

What are credentials?

Credentials are academic or educational qualifications, such as degrees or diplomas that you have completed. Credentials can also be occupational qualifications, such as professional certificates or work experience.

If you received your credentials outside of Canada, they are called "international credentials" or "foreign credentials". You may need to get your credentials evaluated if you want to work or study in Canada.

Academic credentials

These are examples of academic credentials:

  • Secondary (high) school diploma
  • College diploma
  • Bachelor's degree
  • Master's degree
  • PhD or Doctorate degree
  • Professional school degree (for example, a degree in law, medicine, or teaching)

Occupational or professional credentials

These are examples of occupational or professional credentials:

  • Professional licences
  • Memberships in professional associations
  • Apprenticeships
  • Trade certificates
  • Work experience

Getting your foreign credentials evaluated

You may need to get your foreign credentials evaluated for work or if you want to apply to a college or university.

Canadian colleges and universities will evaluate your previous education as part of deciding whether to admit you as a student. They may also ask you to submit a report from an evaluation service. Contact the admissions office or department at the college or university you would like to apply to for more information on what you need to do.

Some organizations provide an evaluation service: they will review and evaluate your foreign credentials by comparing them to similar credentials you can get in Canada. These organizations will charge a fee for their services. You can get your foreign credentials evaluated by these organizations:

  • Comparative Education Services (CES) (1) at the University of Toronto will evaluate academic credentials earned outside of Canada by comparing your education to Canadian diplomas and degrees. These evaluations are for getting employment because they can help employers understand the kind of education you have. However, these evaluations might not be useful if you are applying to a college or university. For more information, contact CES:
    Telephone : 416-978-2400
  • International Credentials Assessment Service (ICAS) (2) evaluates credentials from secondary school, post-secondary school and technical qualifications. Their reports describe the education you completed outside of Canada and compare it to the education you can get in Canada. ICAS Access Centres are located throughout Ontario. For more information, contact ICAS:
    Toll-free: 1-800-321-6021
    Guelph: 519-763-7282
  • World Education Services (WES) (3) evaluates secondary school and post-secondary school diplomas and degrees completed outside of Canada. You can use WES evaluation reports for: employment, education, immigration, post-secondary education, licensing and apprenticeship training. For more information, contact WES:
    Toll-free: 1-866-343-0070
    Toronto: 416-972-0070

For more information:

(1) Comparative Education Services (CES) - University of Toronto:

(2) International Credentials Assessment Service (ICAS):

(3) World Education Services (WES):