Daily Life

Daily life in new country might be similar to your home country or different. This section will help you get familiar with living in Ontario, and give you some idea of what to expect when you arrive.

Consumer Protection

  • v
  • Print
  • PDF
  • Add to My Favourites

What if my Social Insurance Number (SIN) is lost or stolen?

If your SIN is lost or stolen, report this to the local Service Canada Centre (1) as soon as possible.

Service Canada recommends that you:

  • Report your missing card or number to the local police
  • Review your bank account and credit cards for any unusual transactions
  • Watch your mail for any changes or disruptions
  • Get a credit report to check for unusual activity

It is important to keep your SIN safe and to report a missing SIN right away. If someone finds your SIN, they could use the information to commit fraud against you or someone else.

Visit your local Service Canada Centre to apply for a new SIN card based on your situation. To find a Service Canada Centre near you, or more information, call:

Toll-free: 1-800-206-7218

For more information:

(1) Service Canada Centre: